English Copy Editor
Application Deadline: Rolling
·Job title: English-Language Copy Editor
· Contract type: Freelance
· Location: Remote
Amwaj.Media is a new web-based media platform for professional opinion and analysis of the societies, politics and economies of Iran, Iraq and the Arabian Peninsula. Our emphasis is on holistic, data-driven and forward-looking coverage of the region.
As an English copy editor, your duties will include but are not limited to:
o Editing our daily English-language content - including our coverage of regional media outlets well as original news, opinion and analysis – ensuring accuracy both in terms of facts and language.
o Utilizing your fluent command of English as well as area knowledge to ensure that the finalized output adheres to our vision for data-driven, holistic and forward-looking commentary and analysis that is to the point.
o Rapidly copy edit content that varies greatly in length and scope, from 200 to 1,400 words - under several categories, and each with a different style.
o In addition to ensuring a clear flow and high precision, you will need to coordinate with the translators, contributors and Editors to ensure that your output adheres to our standards.
o Coordinating with the Amwaj.Media graphic artists and social media team to copy edit texts for data visualizations. Additionally, proofreading of content for the site’s database may be requested.
o Editing of daily newsletters sent to our registered users.
Who You Are:
You are a strong editor that adheres to professionalism and accuracy in your work. You will bring with you exceptional writing and editing skills as well as a grasp of the region that allows you to understand the content you are editing.
You have an understanding of regional politics and relevant terminology. You also share our commitment to professional, holistic and data-driven coverage of the region.
It is essential that:
- You are fully fluent in written English.
- You have an undergraduate degree, preferably with a concentration in languages, literature, journalism, political science or international relations.
- You are a self-starter, highly self-disciplined and pay impeccable attention to detail. You can work under high pressure and deliver top quality work at a very rapid pace to meet tight deadlines.
- You are a natural with words. Your strong writing and editing skills come with an exceptional capacity to produce concise texts that reflect our data-driven, forward-looking and holistic approach to the region.
- You have a flair for strong and compelling headlines that intelligently match the content while drawing in readers.
- You are an excellent communicator and multi-tasker who can liaise well with contributors and Editors to promptly and accurately deliver results.
- You love the idea of working from anywhere on the globe, and with an international team with scores of contributors scattered across several countries.
- You think critically and analytically and aren’t afraid to come up with non-conventional solutions to complex challenges. You speak your mind in conversations with your colleagues and you share ideas for how to better do your job - and always astutely implement the smart ideas of others.
It is not a requirement, but it would be even better if you also:
- Have a command of Arabic or Persian.
- To be a part of a new and exciting initiative to bring to the fore original voices and truly professional and unbiased coverage of the region.
- To join a young, sharp and forward-looking team that aims to shake up how the region is covered, elevate local contributors and connect regional voices.
- Compensation is per piece of content and on the basis of merit and experience.