Iraq Media Monitor Contributor
JOB OPPORTUNITY – Deadline: Rolling
·Job title: Iraq Media Monitor Contributor
· Contract type: Freelance
· Location: Remote
Amwaj.Media is a new web-based media platform for professional opinion and analysis of the societies, politics and economies of Iran, Iraq and the Arabian Peninsula states. Our emphasis is on holistic, data-driven and forward-looking coverage of the region.
As an Iraq Media Monitor Contributor:
o You will review Iraqi media outlets to inform yourself of the latest social, political and economic developments in Iraq - and the reactions that these developments generate in the local press. You will also follow western and regional media coverage of Iraq in order to gain a strong grasp of the convergences and divergences in the respective coverage.
o You will use your media and area knowledge to write analytical posts on what is being debated and covered about Iraq in respective local outlets.
o You will independently and remotely work with the Iraq Co-Editor and other Amwaj.Media team members. The workflow involves preparing pitches for what to cover on a daily basis, and to submit reviews of the Iraqi press up to three (3) days a week. You will be expected to prepare and submit your output either the night before and no later than 04:30 am GMT on the day of publishing.
Who you are:
You have a strong passion for, and a solid understanding of, Iraqi and its media landscape as well as the ecosystem of how Iraq is covered from abroad. You also share Amwaj.Media’s commitment to professional, holistic and data-driven coverage of the region.
It is essential that:
- You are fluent in both spoken and written English and Modern Standard Arabic.
- You have an undergraduate degree, preferably with a concentration in journalism, political science, international relations or economics.
- You are a self-starter with a strong work ethic. You can work under high pressure and deliver top quality work by tight deadlines.
- You are a natural with words. Apart from being a very strong writer, you can rapidly review a large volume of articles and data and single out for analysis the debates of the day which are of interest to our readers.
- You are an excellent communicator who can work well with and within a team.
- You love the idea of working from anywhere in the globe, and with an international team with scores of contributors scattered across several countries.
- You think critically and analytically and aren’t afraid of coming up with unconventional solutions to challenges. You speak your mind in conversation with your superiors and you share new ideas for how to do your job in a better way - and always help implement the smart ideas of others.
It would be great - but not a requirement - if you also:
- Have an understanding of the Iraqi economy and particularly Iraq's regional trade relationships.
We offer an opportunity:
- To be part of a new and exciting initiative to bring to the fore local voices and professional coverage of the region.
- To join a young, sharp and forward-looking team that aims to shake up how the region is covered, elevate local contributors and connect regional voices.
- To grow immensely in your professional life.
Compensation will be commensurate with merit and experience.